Monday 2 November 2009

Climate Change and what I am doing to help

Scientist across the planet have many theories to explain “Climate Change”, ranging from the believable to the fringe and ridiculous, however there is generally agreement amongst nearly all experts that world wide energy consumption must be drastically reduced, that CO2 emissions must be reduced back down to 1980 levels.

All of us have a CO2 footprint; I give my Belsize home as an example. I have the usual "utility" machines, "multi-media" systems, computer systems and gadgets found in most homes.

I have now signed up to the 2012 Carbon Challenge as part of the 2020 schemes being offered by utility companies.
As part of this Carbon Challenge I have committed to reduce my energy consumption by 20% annually. I estimate that I have already reduced this even further over the past years with the following advice that I make available to you here.

Many years ago aware of the dire problems that we will face with unchecked “Global Warming” I made a conscious effort to reduce my total home energy consumption, by "smart" shopping, that is buying electrical "utility units" for example washing machines that conform to the highest standards of efficiency and have the lowest energy and water consumption available. Insuring that any "multi-media" equipment has a "smart" standby which means that no units consumes more than 3 to 5 watts in standby, most units burn 10 to 15 watts.

Changing ALL the lighting bulbs to be energy efficient, for example the front room ceiling lighting pendants have 5 candle bulbs, which used to consume 5x60 watts = 300W (to put this another way that is nearly 1/3 of KW).
I have now changed these to a special candle bulb replacement using only 11W so in total it uses 55W and offers nearly same light levels and saving 245W.

Every room has a high efficiency low energy bulbs the largest that I would use would be 23W and that would service an entire room! I avoid use of multiple lamps that although looking great consume vast amount of energy.
The last idea is the “smartest” and cost NOTHING to implement, I was considering to patient the idea but instead share it with you all! When you leave any room for an extended period, switch the multi-media systems to standby and turn off the lights. You will be amazed how much energy you will reduce by doing this. Fact. My young Daughter DOES this NOW and she reminds me if I should forget!
We need to teach all the future generations that this is the way forward to reduce waste wherever possible.

Through these efficiencies savings I estimate that I have reduced around 20 to 30% of the total energy home electrical consumption.

Now I except that to do all the steps that I have outlined will cost money in the short run, smart machines are not cheap, but are cheaper to run long term.

Just as this approach is helping to reduce the CO2 footprint of my Belsize home by around 20 - 30% it is also saving me money over the annual electricity costs. I estimate that the "smart" utility machines have paid back in only 2 to 3 years of use and are in profit now that is profit in my pocket and profit to the Planet.

The NASA Scientist Dr James Hansen was reported in The Associated Press Jun. 24, 2008 in this article;

“WASHINGTON — Exactly 20 years after warning America about global warming, a top NASA scientist said the situation has gotten so bad that the world's only hope is drastic action.
James Hansen told Congress on Monday that the world has long passed the "dangerous level" for greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and needs to get back to 1988 levels. He said Earth's atmosphere can only stay this loaded with man-made carbon dioxide for a couple more decades without changes such as mass extinction, ecosystem collapse and dramatic sea level rises.
"We're toast if we don't get on a very different path," Hansen, director of the Goddard Institute of Space Sciences who is sometimes called the godfather of global warming science, told The Associated Press. "This is the last chance."
Hansen brought global warming home to the public in June 1988 during a Washington heat wave, telling a Senate hearing that global warming was already here. To mark the anniversary, he testified before the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming where he was called a prophet, and addressed a luncheon at the National Press Club where he was called a hero by former Sen. Tim Wirth, D-Colo., who headed the 1988 hearing.
To cut emissions, Hansen said coal-fired power plants that don't capture carbon dioxide emissions shouldn't be used in the United States after 2025, and should be eliminated in the rest of the world by 2030. That carbon capture technology is still being developed and not yet cost efficient for power plants.
Burning fossil fuels like coal is the chief cause of man-made greenhouse gases. Hansen said the Earth's atmosphere has got to get back to a level of 350 parts of carbon dioxide per million. Last month, it was 10 percent higher: 386.7 parts per million.”


Remember that this article I have selected is already out of date last month was 18 months ago and CO2 has already exceeded the 386.7 parts per million.

As a closing comment from me in my leafy Belsize location, I say this, we ALL can make a difference, whilst the scientist talk and may at times disagree with various intellectual arguments and nuance, the fact remains that with the continuing population explosion and “super rapid” economic growth of China and the world demand for more and more production that energy consumption is set to increase and the cost of energy also will continue to increase.

Perhaps in the final analysis it will come down to the simple fact of can we afford NOT to reduce now.

So remember to Switch off that light!

Author: Nigel Rumble